Key Bushing Clearance/Friction, was: Key mortise correction

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Aug 12 14:50:47 MDT 2006

Hi Terry

You dont really.  0.002" and 0.005 are rather more like of theoretical
values which ends up being very close to what the <<optimalized>>
bushing feels like.  You develop a feel for this sideways motion in both
the keybutton and the front bushings.  And... as such things go... the
actual results vary a bit from tech to tech.  Experienced techs whov'e
gotten good at this however display a pretty high degree of likeness in
end results.

As for how much friction this ends up yeilding.  Total key friction
shouldnt end up being more then absolute max 2 grams IMB... and I strive
for 1-1.5 grams.  I find it difficult to understand how you can
consistantly get lower then this and still maintain firmness of play myself.

Cheers
RicB

---------
Two questions: How do you go about measuring key bushing clearance? And
how much key friction does these specs commonly yield?

Terry Farrell