Key Bushing Clearance/Friction, was: Key mortise correction

Roger Jolly roger.j at sasktel.net
Sat Aug 12 19:40:17 MDT 2006

Hi Terry,
                 Ric is right' it is touchy, feely kind of thing if
using key easing pliers.   How ever I use accurate brass cauls
mounted in a 40watt soldering iron. For American made pianos .147"
for the balance rail, and .150 for the front rail.
Japanese pianos. .135" BR and .137" for the front rail.  Available
from Pianotech.
Do not let the iron get too hot.  The tool will lay the nap of the
felt down very nicely.
A thin coat of Protech grease  wiped on to the pins will make the
bushing friction come down to the 1-2gm range.

My order for prepping a keybed.

1.  Check and adjust BR hole height.  Make sure you remove all swarf
from the key mortice.
2. Polish all BR and FR pins with Flitz metal polish.
3. Apply thin coat of Protech grease to pins. Lubricates and protects
against Oxidization.
4. Iron all bushings to obtain above tolerences.
5. Ease OR swell balance rain holes for correct fit.  (If there is
any hint of 'chucking' take a damp cloth and hot iron to swell the BR hole.

If you want star performance regulation, then the keybed needs
special fastidious attention.

Regards Roger