Wapin Revisted

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Mon Aug 14 10:59:47 MDT 2006

Ric -

This was one (just one) of the reasons I was so sad at not being able
to be in Rochester. I hope Steve Birkett does make the DVD available.

You said a few things:

>the initial pulse and reflections look a bit more like a Gausian
>[sic] wave then a straight traveling wave

First, just for those who may not remember their Gauss:

>A Gaussian function (named after
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Carl_Friedrich_Gauss>Carl
>Friedrich Gauss) is a
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Function_%28mathematics%29>function
>of the form:
>f(x) = a e^{-(x-b)^2/c^2}
>
>for some <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Real_number>real
>constants a > 0, b, and c.
>Gaussian functions with c2 = 2 are
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Eigenfunction>eigenfunctions of
>the <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Fourier_transform>Fourier
>transform. This means that the Fourier transform of a Gaussian
>function is not only another Gaussian function but a
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Scalar_%28mathematics%29>scalar
>multiple of the function whose Fourier transform was taken.
>Gaussian functions are among those functions that are
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Elementary_function_%28differential_algebra%29>elementary
>but lack elementary antiderivatives.
(quoted from Wikipedia)

Oh, that's right.  Now I remember.  Okay then, well, if it's Gauss
we're talking about, then, to quote Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction,
"Please, allow me to retort".

What??

or, to paraphrase another quote from the same source; "What does a
Gaussian wave look like?"

Anybody starts throwing Gauss around on this list better be willing
to simplify it for us morons, even if that's only a couple. (Smiley
faces not operational) Honestly though, it may have to wait until
Birkett or someone else writes "Elementary Gauss for Piano
Technicians", but until then,   maybe you could elaborate and
simplify, all at once.

You also paraphrased Birkett along the lines of  "namely that if you
can't measure it or photograph it...".  Well, I've been wondering
about something for quite some time, but haven't known exactly how to
pursue it, though the information is probably right under my nose,
(as in previously discussed on this list).  How does wire look (and
act), molecularly, at rest, and how does that molecular structure and
behavior change as tension is applied, and as it approaches and
attains breaking point?  On what level does the behavior of the wire
change as a response to material imperfections (in fact, how uniform
is the molecular structure of piano wire?brand to brand?) or to
physical distortions (bend / crimp) or to the physical process of
termination?  Did Birkett speak of making any observations along these lines?

Lastly, I'm not sure what you mean by:
>  I am wondering at this point whether or not the <<definition>> or
> focus of the termination at the bridge is what is at work here.

Sorry to have missed you on your trip to the states, and I hope the
cinematic references were not too obscure (or too obvious) for
you.  Any of you.

David Skolnik