Tuning Hammers

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Tue Aug 15 15:28:44 MDT 2006

Hi,
I chose to keep my hammers to 12" total length because of pianos where the
whole music desk lifts up. Like the Baldwin with the lid prop. The shorter
the hammer the more responsive the feel, but the harder one must work.
The other thing I feel one must consider is the head %.  5, is too little as
the pins are at 7.
10 very little flex or flag poling, until extra length is added to the tip.
15 most feel comfortable with and short extensions of head can be used.
20 I prefer with a short head and tip but I feel no aditional extensions
should be used.
With my hammer ( wand style ) when the side of a grand is in the way, I
remove the ball end and tune up to C7 or G7 as the case allows and then
either move to the side of a grand or tune with the hammer at 6:00 o:clock.
With the same head and angle being used on all pianos, I do not need to
relearn hammer movement necessary ( I feel ) by changing equipment.
My new design is not on the site but was inspired by the old Hale ball and
socket conection of head to shaft. My new design uses two mating plateaus
for the head to shaft connection.
About 14 oz. weight and stiff as 1/2" hex steel can be.

Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr at srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com