Is it a good idea to tuned on itself a piano outtuned becuse of humidity

Philippe Errembault phil.errembault at skynet.be
Wed Aug 16 14:56:51 MDT 2006

Hi guys,

I wondered. I have an antique piano, whoses strings are attached on a wooden frame. So : according to the weather, especially in Belgium where we are known to see the four seasons in the same day, I can have humidity varying from 55 to 80% quite easily. which you can imagine, can raise the piano for more than 50 cents. I wondered if I really should
- put it back in tune, each time, or
- not touch anything untils it's back to the normal humidity rate,
- change it only at the seasond change but avoid changing string tension to often
- just tune it on itself, so that when humidity goes bach to normal, I optionnaly have to returne it on itself but not change the whole opiano tonality ?

Thank you,

Philippe errembault