Source fof High Solids Lacquer

JIMRPT at aol.com JIMRPT at aol.com
Wed Aug 16 22:44:57 MDT 2006

In a message dated 8/16/06 6:41:44 PM, phil at philbondi.com writes:

OK dere........... buttt................

> <<It was suggested to me a few years ago..I believe a few members of the
> CAUT list, suggested that while an ordinary lacquer would work, you
> would get better, quicker, and more consistent results from one with a
> higher content of solids.>>

The commercial retail definition of high solids content is a formulation that
uses less solvent as a carrier....thus "high solids"..................
I seem to think that the same results may be obtained using an adjusted ratio
when formulating hammer 'stuff'.......but that is just me.
In addition if a high solids content is desirable then all that is needful is
to allow a container of 'normal' laquer to remain open to the air until the
desirable solids content is reached.........
The higher the solids content the less the penetration will be on initial or
subsequent applications...... CAUT??? I have heard of them from somewhere....
nes pe! ? :-)

> <<One that was suggested was Sherwin Williams. According to the sales
> person, I bought the last gallon here locally, and they were not going
> to be getting any more.>>

While the EPA standards have an effect on product formulation it is more
profitable for any merchant to carry fewer lines and have a larger margin on what
they do sell.......... High solids content material
may be cut by the purchaser to any lesser material content by addition of
solvent/carrier...this is common in formulating shellac and is no different in
laquers. While a high solids content laquer may cost 30% more than a low content
formulation the ability to expand the high content stuff by addition of
solvent/carrier is often less expensive as more end product may be obtained in such
fashion.

> <<While you have maintained your 'perfect' record with me, this is a
> subject I feel I may have somewhat of a experienced say...for a change!>>

Hmmm.... the key here is "somewhat"...remember voicing is all an individual
taste thingee and there are no absolutes...including this one. :-(
................... well, a ruined set of hammers is just that I suppose.

Jim Bryant (FL)