question about humidy control

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Aug 17 10:20:48 MDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
> I would love a consensus opinion regarding those little boxes that one
> installs to regulate local environmental humidity. I was told by one party
> steer clear of them because they can cause rot, and that the best thing is
> keep the piano in conditions that 'a person would find comfortable', i.e.,
> "What you find comfortable, the piano will find comfortable" (caveat being
> direct sun exposure, etc.). I was also told by another party that I
> *should*
> have one to prevent the soundboard from cracking.
>
> I have a rebuilt 1886 Steinway-B (7', rosewood finish, 19th century
> Victorian
> legs and scrollwork, etc.). I of course don't want to hurt it, and want to
> protect it.
>
> What to believe? Is there an objective answer?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Aaron.

It is a simple case where it is best to keep a piano in a moderate stable
climate - relative humidity being the most important climactic factor.

What exactly is "those little boxes that one installs to regulate local
environmental humidity"?

Whole room climate control is best. Next best is a proper Damp Chaser
installation.

Much also depends on your local climate. If you live in upstate NY, you have
very humid summers and homes without AC, and in the winter the humidity
plummets. Any piano NEEDS humidity control there. Some other climates are
more moderate. Here in Central Florida, the modern AC-equipped home
generally presents a fairly stable moderate climate. However, I have a nice
DC dehumidifier installation on my home piano.

Where do you live? What is the RH range of the pianos environment?

Hope this helps.

Terry Farrell