preparations

tish mukarji tishamukarji at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 17 13:24:36 MDT 2006

Hi Stephane,

I am very aware of the type of musicians that you are
referring to, but it has nothing to do with developing
new techniques but more to do with developing already
over sized egos. That is one thing.

Going beyond the limits of an instrument : It is a
case of re imagining sonic possibilities of the
instrument. Technicians and composers/musicians alike
have been doing this for years although the former are
more knowledgeable and capable of making concrete
changes. In the history of the piano (and ofcourse you
will all know this) there have been countless changes
of design, use of new material, controversies.
Change and development only occurs when people imagine
and then realize new limits. The piano is a beautiful
instrument that has captured me for the past twenty
years, and I love it when a bass string resonates for
five minutes. By the way on a Bosendorfer you don't
need to touch the string just the pedal and touch the
key, the piano does the rest. Try listening to that,
the comparison to a cheap synthesizer makes me cringe
!!
So in my view there is no separation or hierarchy
between those who can do and those who don't. They all
have a profound regard for the instrument,(ofcourse
there are exceptions) just different approaches.
Best,
Tish