preparations

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Thu Aug 17 14:28:55 MDT 2006

Hi again Tish.

Nice reading you.

I can agree with the search for new possibilities of an existing instrument.
But now, take a Bösendorfer Imperial, and next to it a Yamaha G2.  Put a
teaspoon between the two strings of C#2 of each piano, and play C#2 on each
piano.  Which one sounds best ?
That was my point.
My search beyond the limits would be : between the Bösendorfer Imperial and
the Yamaha G2 choose the better instrument (after removing the spoons), then
try and negociate to put them in a nice acoustic (Concertgebouw ?), try why
not to put the instrument on a concrete floor, or a wooden one, see the
difference and choose for the better result, then work on the curtains on
the walls, or remove those, depending on how many people would attend when
playing, set the casters parallel to north south magnetic line or
perpendicular, or at the angle that gives best results, then get a super
concert prep tech and take his temperature, if reasonable, have him regulate
and voice the instrument ad libitum, then touch up the very place where the
instrument sits, touch up the lighting, muting the bench noises, getting
those shoes which won't squeak when pedaling, call for a shia-tsu eminence
to give a go just before the performance, and for the very moment that I
need a gong in the piece, I'd choose between those marvellous Tibetan things
who make unbelievable gong sounds, get the one that matches best the piano I
chose, put it in the right place that makes the stereo stage most mystical,
and travel miles to find the right mallet which will get the best blend of
harmonics out of it.  When I need the thunder sheet, I borrow it from the
Wagnerian opera next door.
Sorry for being long, but when prepping a piano the way Cage does or
whoever, you simply loose contact to the qualities (if any) of the
instrument.  I don't call this extending it's limits, I call this spoiling
it's abilities.
Did you try the old forgotten trick to make the 10 few lowest dampers start
earlier than the others when pedaling ? Makes wonders, especially on
straight strung instruments, and under thoroughly prepped feet.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.