Brash Failure...was "Dead Wood"

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 17 18:01:22 MDT 2006

Ron,
That was a GIANT leap!<G> Theoretically, I would say yes. However, Brash
Failure can occur in a short period of time and sometimes not in many
lifetimes. At least, that's been my experience. I've seen pianos from your
neck of the woods, 50 years old and have major wood integrity failure. And,
I've seen pianos from Eastern Oregon that look and act like their brand
new! Go figger. It's something to do with how the wood has been kept and
the original integrity of the wood, as well, IMO. The only consistency is a
total lack of consistency.<G>	My general approach is: to not trust any wood
older than 50 years until I've worked with it and can make an assessment of
it's strength, etc. It's more of gut feeling than anything else. I have a
feeling you do the same, in one way or another.<G>
Regards,
Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I