Is it a good idea to tuned on itself a piano outtuned becuse ofhumidity

alan forsyth alan at forsythalan.wanadoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 18 11:42:14 MDT 2006

I'm curious as to how you go about pitch raising a wooden frame piano? I've done several before and each time it makes a mockery of my sensibilities. They do not follow the normal rules of pitch changes. Some of them you can tune in 5 passes and at the end of all that , A49 ends up at the same pitch that you started out with. I have about 25 of these savage beasts on my records. Some of them are as follows;

Hartman 1860
Collard & Collard 1860
Erard 1847
B Squire 1859
A Bord 1891
John Broadwood 1893
Erard 1830
Challen 1885
James MacBeth 1870
Murdoch McKillop 1885
Hopkinson s/n 12 1835
B Squire 1870
Challen & Hodgson 1875
John Broadwood 1869
William Ross  1860
Henry Ward 1861

What is interesting is that some were still being produced way after the invention of the full iron frame. I know that in previous centuries, nuns in the Convents were taught to tune their own pianos mainly because these old wooden framed efforts (the pianos, not the nuns) needed tuning every day.

AF