brash failure

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Aug 18 15:20:51 MDT 2006

Ron writes

>>A piano is still not a violin, and a piano soundboard is still

not carved to it's crowned shape. Thus, this comparison is

still not a valid one now matter how many times it's presented.<,

      Then compare the flat-top Martin guitar of 1945 with a new one.  It is
a solid spruce panel, butt-jointed across a set of ribs, subjected to
compression and tension.  There is nothing in the older spruce that demonstrates
deterioration. In fact, it seems, and the market among the real experts supports,
that the older wood has superior tonal qualities that the new wood does not.

>>And you've never seen a

shot 80 year old bridge cap, or did maple get an exemption

too, but only in certain special bridge caps?<

      I have seen 80 year old bridge caps that were shot, but I have seen
more of them that were intact.  The cheaper the piano, it seems the higher the
incident of bad caps, (Knabe seems to be an exception).

> How is it that my 1920 Steinway M has virtually no

> false-beating strings, no cracks behind the bridge pins, etc.  and this
2001 D

> has at least 7 un-tunable unisons due to poor pin termination.

>>Based on that extensive cross section, it

surely has to be the superior wood of 80 years ago. There  could be no other
possibility. <

    (Saracasm not withstanding)  I personally own 7 Steinways of older
vintage, and every single one of them has less false beating strings than any new
one I have seen in the last few years.  I also maintain dozens of older pianos
and they correlate with this.  In fact, after 30 years of taking care of grand
pianos, I am going to have to consider my experience "extensive", and I have
seen nothing that tells me high quality wood, properly used, deteriorates.

>>So why aren't you recovering

knuckles and re-bushing those old shanks instead of replacing

them? How about bushing, leathering, and felting the old

wippens while you're at it? <<

  Time is money,  I am not working as a conservator at a museum.  The
difference in quality of wood is insufficient to justify the additional time in
rebuilding the parts.

>>You're apparently throwing out

superior wood and replacing it with inferior. How those new

inferior maple shanks will work better than those better

quality originals, which could have deteriorated to the point

where new would be better, even though the bridge cap didn't,

is something I doubt I'll ever connect without hurting myself. <<

     The efficacy of replacement of action parts has nothing to do with the
wood.  In the late '70's, when there was a dearth of parts for rebuilders, I
rebushed, reclothed, repinned, and resprung quite a few actions.  Those pianos
are still in professional use today, and the age of the wood is no handicap, at
all.

>     I believe that a very fine soundboard could be made with old spruce

> reattached to new ribs.

>>Almost certainly, depending on your construction method. But

why would you if that nice dry brittle soundboard still

produces such fine response?>>

     Ron, I don't see the logic in this question.  Given that the soundboard
is an assembly, it is hard to blame the loss of tone on one simple component.
I don't think that the spruce is supporting anything, but the ribs can
certainly distort under extended load.  It seems to me that you are relying on straw
man caricatures to support a preconceived view that old wood is inferior
wood.  My experience is something different.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT