brash failure

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Aug 18 23:05:44 MDT 2006

>       Then compare the flat-top Martin guitar of 1945 with a new one.  It is
> a solid spruce panel, butt-jointed across a set of ribs, subjected to
> compression and tension.

So, whereas, a piano isn't a violin, it's now a guitar? That
surely has to be better. Not insisting on a description of
"compression and tension" in this context, why can't a piano
just be a piano so we can work with that?

>There is nothing in the older spruce that demonstrates
> deterioration.

Ignoring what? Compression set is certainly real, and
demonstrable by measuring negative crown in the killer octave
of compression crowned soundboards, never mind the resulting
tonal problems there. Then there's cracks. I'd certainly call
all that deterioration.

>In fact, it seems, and the market among the real experts supports,
> that the older wood has superior tonal qualities that the new wood does not.

Ah yes, here we go. Who might these "real experts" be? I've
been looking for a long time for a "real expert" who could hit
his ass with either hand in low light on a clear day. I never
dreamed there could be more than one. Names and E-mail
addresses would be handy so I could ask them directly for
clarification on these pesky issues on which I can't find
information anywhere else. If I had known you were privy to
these resources, I'd have asked a long time ago and saved
myself a lot of time and money.

>       I have seen 80 year old bridge caps that were shot, but I have seen
> more of them that were intact.  The cheaper the piano, it seems the higher the
> incident of bad caps, (Knabe seems to be an exception).

"Intact" is debatable, but I have to concede that the Knabe
caps are undeniably in a special ed class by themselves. What
could they possibly have been thinking? Yea, there are a lot
of old bridge caps out there functioning quite well, but there
are a lot more that aren't - desirable brand name or not.

>   Time is money,  I am not working as a conservator at a museum.  The
> difference in quality of wood is insufficient to justify the additional time in
> rebuilding the parts.

It is? This statement, would seem to indicate otherwise.

>     The elasticity of a hammer shank could easily deteriorate to a point
> where a new one would be better, but a very light, dry, brittle soundboard can be
> more responsive than a new, heavier one.

So the possible differences in wood quality of the shank
between old and new isn't in fact, a factor for consideration,
compared to the profit margin? This is a more honestly
realistic assessment, and pragmatic approach, in my opinion,
justified by the minimal demonstrable performance differences
between old and new shanks. To those who drop-tune new shanks
by pitch, I offer my apologies and condolences.

>      The efficacy of replacement of action parts has nothing to do with the
> wood.  In the late '70's, when there was a dearth of parts for rebuilders, I
> rebushed, reclothed, repinned, and resprung quite a few actions.  Those pianos
> are still in professional use today, and the age of the wood is no handicap, at
> all.

Ah, good. Real stuff. so much for:

>     The elasticity of a hammer shank could easily deteriorate to a point
> where a new one would be better, but a very light, dry, brittle soundboard can be
> more responsive than a new, heavier one.

Thank you. That's one down.

>>> Almost certainly, depending on your construction method. But
>
> why would you if that nice dry brittle soundboard still
>
> produces such fine response?>>
>
>      Ron, I don't see the logic in this question.  Given that the soundboard
> is an assembly, it is hard to blame the loss of tone on one simple component.
> I don't think that the spruce is supporting anything, but the ribs can
> certainly distort under extended load.  It seems to me that you are relying on straw
> man caricatures to support a preconceived view that old wood is inferior
> wood.  My experience is something different.

Why would you do anything at all to a soundboard assembly, dry
and brittle as it may be, that is doing what you want? That's
the logic. I thought it was pretty straightforward,
reasonable, and obvious. How is the "spruce" (panel?) not
supporting something in a compression crowned board, and what
is distortion of the ribs under extended load? How would this
be a problem? For that matter, what is extended load?

I'm not putting up straw men. I'm trying to blow by the chaff
to get to the real stuff.
Ron N