brash failure

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Aug 19 02:27:52 MDT 2006

List... relative to the snip from Ed and Rons interchange below:

The increased stiffness due to brittleness is in itself an asset for a
soundboard. As an isolated factor it can easily be seen (depending on
ones preferences) as a positive. I offered a Finnish study a couple
years back to the list that dealt directly with this subject matter.
Whether or not one can justify using an old panel that has developed
this characteristic depends on other factors. Time is indeed money...
and rebuilding an old soundboard so as to actually be able to utilize
what real potential it has is not an inexpensive affair.  Simple
shimming and other stabilizing measures are typical for museum work..
but the purpose of such is not to bring the instrument to some renewed
state of glory that bears any semblance to its origins.  In many cases,
a museum simply wants a physical record of an instrument as <<was>>.

One other point  I really have a hard time understanding... How can
someone in one breath insist on the non-validity of comparing violins to
pianos, and then turn around and compare hammer shanks to a soundboard.
Considering the context of the comparisons being attempted... i.e. tonal
qualities of old wood... that becomes especially baffling IMHO.

Cheers
RicB

---------
Ron and Ed debate:

Ed
 >   Time is money,  I am not working as a conservator at a museum.  The
 > difference in quality of wood is insufficient to justify the
additional time in
 > rebuilding the parts.

Ron
It is? This statement, would seem to indicate otherwise.

Ed