Brash Failure

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 18 22:27:47 MDT 2006

JD said: "Yes, why on earth not? What is all this talk of "brash failure"?
Brash wood is diseased, rotten wood -- brashness is not something
that happens to wood in the course of time but only as a result of
exposure to malign elements of one kind or another, usually before
conversion. In a benign environment wood will not deteriorate and in
35 years of restoration I have dealt with only a tiny number of
pianos where wood has become brittle, usually, it seems, through the
prolonged effect of chemicals in its location, and most likely
smoking coal fires. As regards spruce, I have never come across such
as thing, and I have never seen a maple shank that has become
brittle. Those shanks that do become brittle are never maple in my
experience."

JD,
Perhaps you need more diverse experience.<G> Some of your suppositions are not valid, IMO.

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I