Brash Failure

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Aug 19 01:52:05 MDT 2006

At 9:27 pm -0700 18/8/06, Joseph Garrett wrote:

>Perhaps you need more diverse experience.<G> Some of your
>suppositions are not valid, IMO.

I'm not surprised you should say so, Joe, since on Saturday, October
23, 2004 Joseph Garrett wrote:

>The one thing that gets me to NOT want to do a re-ribbing of an olde
>board, is the fact that wood does age. Forget the compression factor
>for now. Let's just consider this: In the aging process of wood, it
>loses it's cellular cohesion/bonding. At some point, this aging
>process creates what is known as Brash Failure. If wood is kept in a
>consistant environment, it will eventually turn to stone, (ie
>petrify). The Brash Failure occurs about half way to the petriying
>stage.

Now while I recognise that my experience may not be as diverse as
yours, I have never seen or heard of any piece of wood in a piano
that has turned to stone in any "consistant environment" in which a
piano can survive. By your reckoning you are familiar with some
pianos that are well on their way to petrification.  Since my
suppositions are invalid, according to you, I suppose you will be
glad to point us to a web site or some learned volume that will
validate your own rather interesting theory.

JD