Downbearing?

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Sat Aug 19 21:08:29 MDT 2006

>Hi folks
>
>Another little bit that has dawned on me whilst pushing numbers
>around is that you can actually lower the amount of downwards
>pressure on the bridge for same string tension by lengthening the
>backscale [at the same downbearing measurement].

Indeed. And for those sections which have a longer backscale, you
will require a higher downbearing setting to achieve the desired
angle of downbearing. Furthermore, when the piano is strung, a
shorter backscale will lose a lot more of its unstrung angle,
compared to a longer backscale.

>Interesting I thought.  What would the tradeoffs be comparing higher
>tensioned scales coupled with lower downward force levels visa vi
>lower tensioned scales with higher downward force levels ?

I would expect the higher downbearing/lower tension scenario to
result in a slightly lower impedance. But I haven't done any bench
testing to confirm this. Nor have I tried to resolve it
mathematically.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY