Downbearing? Ron O

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sun Aug 20 03:22:10 MDT 2006

Ron O writes:

    Indeed. And for those sections which have a longer backscale, you
    will require a higher downbearing setting to achieve the desired
    angle of downbearing. Furthermore, when the piano is strung, a
    shorter backscale will lose a lot more of its unstrung angle,
    compared to a longer backscale.

Thanks for the reply Ron. If you could explain a bit of what you usually
do and why concerning how much of the total string angle to place on the
back length visa vi the front (speaking length) I would be very greatful.

Another little point I havent quite worked out yet is that unless the
bridge surface actually follows one of the downward angles towards
either the hitch pin or speaking length.. (ie either angel is 0)  then
there are actually two deflections towards the string.  Clearly this
adds a bit more tension for any given deflection then the single point
deflection I've been using to look at things thus far.  But I am not
sure how to figure this in.  Depending on how wide the bridge face is I
was thinking you could maybe figure the triangle created from the points
the front edge, back edge and hitch pin makes and add this to a single
deflection figuring using the front edge as the single deflection
point.  Perhaps this is a clumsy way and might not even work... I am
unsure about the bridge surface length. It would seem to me that there
should be an easy way to do this using just the width of the bridge
surface and the angle the surface takes to the undeflected string
plain...  If you could enlighten ... ? :)

Cheers and thanks
RicB