Comin' Apart

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Aug 21 22:46:42 MDT 2006

> /*Question:*/ There are some screws in a row through the top of the
> plate (smaller than and separate from the regular plate screws and
> bolts). I think taking these out will facilitate removing the lid but I
> fear the lid is also heavily glued and am wondering ... how can you
> "ruin" old case glue (probably hide or fish) when it is under a thick
> board (back of the lid) that we do not want to crack? Or, more simply
> put, how do ya take this sucker apart???
>

> Alan Barnard

Caveat: Not being there to look at it and make my own
erroneous observations/conclusions, I'll frame my thoughts
within yours.

While I don't think I remember ever seeing screws through the
plate having to do with the lid, I'd start there in case
"getting lucky" happened to be up on the wheel. When that
fails, I'd attack the lid with a paring chisel and a pry bar,
in the spirit of exploratory surgery. A significant part of a
technician's job is, after all, breaking things so (s)he can
fix them afterward and be a hero. If/when you find a separated
back, you are in a very good position, having their piano torn
up at  that point, to sell them a conditional fix. If you
don't find a separation, you will have produced peace of mind
by uncovering no pathology, which is what exploratory surgery
is all about, and have a nice justification for the charge.
Everyone, nominally, wins all around, except for the part
about it being a 1916 Willard (Standard action, quite possible
single valve at that age), and 60 years past it's intended
life span. As usual, reality tends to put a damper (leaking,
usually) on our warm and fuzzy expectations.

It's just the way stuff happens.
Ron N