lesser of touch weight evils...

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Tue Aug 22 00:44:30 MDT 2006

Hi Barbara. Looks pretty typical for a job where the technician didnt
take regard to hammer weights or weighing the keys off after replacing
hammers. I hear of this kind of thing pretty often actually.  The
Steinways I've done from that period of time used fairly light hammers
and low key leading... and depending on the age and model used assist
springs as well. I'm just now delivering an O that fits that
description. It also had capstans angled backwards... perhaps you've
seen this before.

Those are some pretty high friction levels yes... and heavy duty
downweights.  Both could indicate heavy hammers. The second, heavy
hammers without enough counterbalance and/or not enough leverage.  But
its impossible to tell without more info.

Just for reference... for a quick ratio check I always take a quick set
of distance measurements for one key.  It gets me close to the Stanwood
SW ratio in a jiffy without having to do a full set of samples his way.
That, with the figures you give below and an idea of what kind of front
weighting there is would be enough to make some better guestimations
from afar :)  That said.. if you get time to do a full set of Stanwood
measurements... then... why then we're really talking !

Cheers
RicB

Hi all,

Took a look at a Steinway A III (1921) today at a church.  The action had
been rebuilt sometime in the transition out of Teflon.  The repetitions are
Teflon, but the shanks/flanges are cloth bushed & have those dark colored
knuckles.  The piano plays like a truck, but sounds fairly nice (I'm
assuming the restringing job was done at the same time).  Of course, the
instrument has just been purchased (a technician, not I, gave it the OK--I
would have OK'd it, but mentioned the action) and there is either not
enough
money for a new action, or the music director feels like he would take a
lot
of heat for buying a piano that could use a new action.  I pointed out to
him that he got a good price for the piano and investing in a new action
wouldn't make their cash outlay more than it's worth.

The music director doesn't mind the touch, but he uses the piano for
teaching and the students are struggling.

#     D     U
C1   78   30
C2   75   20
C3   65   21