lesser of touch weight evils...

Jonathan Finger pianotech at tollidee.com
Tue Aug 22 16:00:17 MDT 2006

Ric,
perhaps I wasn't clear in my email.  I was trying to say most of what
you just said in your reply to me: that not having more information
makes it nearly impossible to make a sound recommendation as to how one
should address this action.

Knowing the overall ration would be another piece though, and is the
first thing I asked in my email.

You said:
"*If an action is well balanced and finely regulated, it will not play
like a truck. "

*I think I agree with you in principle - that a finely regulated and
designed action will play as it is supposed to.  It is not only
possible, but common to see actions that are "well balanced" that play
like trucks.  I can balance two elephants on a seesaw, but not have the
strength to accelerate or decelerate them quickly.  Conversely, I can
balance two teddy bears on a seesaw, and have a much easier time moving
them.
The action mentioned has balance weights over 40g, and high friction.
While knuckles can easily be part of this picture, I was just saying
that without further information on the geometry of the action, and
seeing the numbers I did - I would look at mass.

As you said though, without more information it is very difficult to
know exactly how to approach this.

Regards,
Jonathan Finger RPT