lesser of touch weight evils...

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Tue Aug 22 16:27:04 MDT 2006

Hi Jonathan

Looks like its my turn to attempt to be more clear.  A well balanced
action in my book is per definition one that of course does not use mass
levels that are so high as to cause inertia problems that slow down the
actions response to the point that <<playing like a truck>> is any
description I could ever apply.  That said, mass levels can be higher
then some like to think without this being a problem. One has to first
remember that it is easy enough to create an action configuration that
can exceed any performance demands with regard to speeds.  One simply
has no need for an action that is capable of playing twice as fast as
the human hand can play it.

I think Stanwood came up with a pretty decent set of guidlines for
maximum front weights... and some of the discussions surrounding Dr.
Birketts paper on key inertia a couple years back indicate decent enough
levels of inertia that could be intergrated into Stanwoods
frontweights.  Keeping at or below these levels along with good
relationships between action leverage and strike weight levels, coupled
with a finely regulated action will always result in a dandy playing
instrument IMHO.

I'm not a believer in the Light Hammer action proposed by Ed McMorrow.
Tho I know Ed and know him to be a good technician that does fine work
and agree with him on many other points.  I just find that pianists as a
whole are a very largely varried group.  Some like this, some like the
other... no single configuration or style fits all... tho there are
averages.  Stanwood has collected a vast amount of data on many touch
related concerns, and its interesting to see where the <<norms>> fall.

I hope Barbara gets a chance to follow up on this action and supply us
with some more data.  I hesitate to guess much knowing the action has
been rebuilt at some time... but if I was to guess I'd say its probably
just another case of to heavy a set of hammers installed without regard
(or much at any rate) to leverage or counterbalance.  I've seen it often
enough... and been guilty of it often enough as well.

Cheers
RicB

Jonathan Finger writes:

It is not only possible, but common to see actions that are "well
balanced" that play
like trucks.

Regards,
Jonathan Finger RPT