Creeping center pins

TOM DRISCOLL tomtuner at verizon.net
Tue Aug 22 21:54:19 MDT 2006

  Subject: RE: Creeping center pins

  From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of Michelle Smith
  Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:05 PM
  To: 'Pianotech List'
  Subject: Creeping center pins

  Hi all.  I have a Baldwin Hamilton console (about ten or fifteen years old) that has lots of center pins that are creeping out of their flanges.  Far enough that they're interfering with their neighbor notes.

  The people have had their Dampp-Chaser unplugged for a long time and everything is dry as a bone.  I'm hoping I can get the pins pushed back in, get the Dampp-Chaser back in action (different management now) and keep the pins where they belong.

  Any experience with this in Baldwins or other brands?

      Michelle,

      Yes ,this is a common problem. The pins are loose in the birdseye and the only fix is to repin.This is a manufacturing problem in my opinion . Fit the pin to the birdseye first .I start with a pin that will slip through the birdseye and then try each size larger until I can't push the pin through the hole with my fingers. That's the correct size for a tight fit in the birdseye .(Too large a pin and you'll chance breaking the butt and create reaming problems)  Then ream both bushings with a Manino reamer to size the bushings and insert the pin .

      Once I find the correct combination of pins-reamers for a particular action the process moves quickly.

      One more tip-- Shine a flashlight between the hammer flanges (jack flanges also) and you can see the center pins that have migrated shining in the light.

      This also is common on Asian pianos with  butt plates that are allowed to get loose.

      As to the Humidity control issue,I would be surprised if the pins stayed put even after a consistant humidity condition is established.

      Best wishes, Tom Driscoll RPT