Vinegar...was "coming apart..."

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 22 22:02:11 MDT 2006

William B said: "I seem to remember a thread about a faster whippen or a new vertical with a much better grand type feel. I would appreciate any information on this."

William,
That, IMHO, will simply Stink up the Place and accomplish nothing. Contrary to common thought, Vinegar does not do a thing to breaking down Hide glue! If you were using Glacial Acidic Acid, which is really STRONG version of Vinegar, it would not do a darned thing. I've experimented with it and found that to be so. As there is quite a lot of water in vinegar, that is the one thing that will really attack Hide Glue. I've even tried Papaya extract, which was touted as "killer" of Hide Glue. That didn't work either!
The best thing would be a 50-50 solution of alcohol. The alcohol will "wick" into the wood and bring the water with it, thereby softening the Hide Glue.
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police

Bill Peterson former So.Bay Chapter

Bill,
How come it's "Former"?<G> Did we lose you?