Update on prison tuning

Michelle Smith michelle at cdaustin.com
Tue Aug 22 21:34:23 MDT 2006

Hi all.  Just wanted to give you an update on my experience at the prison
today.  It's a very nice federal correctional institute here in Bastrop and
is actually one of the "most requested" prisons in the country.  (I'm not
suggesting any of you plan a long stay there!)

The guard at the front was very picky about what I could carry into the
facility.  I had to formally check out a screwdriver for two hours after I
entered!  He also didn't like my pocket PC which has my Cybertuner (no
recording equipment allowed) but he let it slide.  My good friend the
chaplain stayed by my side for two whole pianos (pitch raises included) and
I was very grateful.  The inmates working in the room were amazed at the
process and I had an audience the entire time.  Kind of unnerving when
you're trying to tune and five (male) prisoners are standing right behind
you!

The part that really surprised me was that the inmates were extremely nice.
Very polite, helpful, interested in taking care of the pianos and humidity
systems and basically starved for interaction with someone from the
"outside".  Many of them play the piano and one knew as much about music
theory as some of us.  All in all, a good experience and lots of
appreciative piano players.

Have a good one!

Michelle Smith

Smith Piano Service