Banjo-like tone in mid-treble: soundboard?

Alan R. Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 22 22:40:33 MDT 2006

Au contrere, mon frere,
Before you despair
There's a common repair
If you dare
And the board may be just fine ... from the description, I'd bet 14 ounces of gerbil droppings that the cap is comin' off the bridge. I've seen this on several Hamilton studios (prone to it, apparently). All the energy gets absorbed in the springiness off the cap so it sounds like a banjo playing in sync with a drummers wood block. If this is the case, glue it n' screw it, I say.
On reading the post a second time, maybe not. I was wrong once before about some little thing, I think, but I may be wrong. Anyway, I'd look closely at the bridge before condeming the beast.
Another test: Slip thin shim under a few strings (on the bridge) that are "dead"; see if anything changes.
Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
Joshua 24:15