Hammer Laquer

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Wed Aug 23 02:14:47 MDT 2006

Hi Blain

Shellac is used by many techs still. Just because one manufacturer has a
policy on using something else doenst change its usefulness.  I've gone
over to nitrocellulose laqure myself, but use collidion (or however
thats spelled) sometimes as well. Nice thing about all three is that
they harden enough in the course of a tuning to get a very good idea of
the end result.   That is if you are not soaking hammers with laquer...

Why isnt shellac still considered for use on piano hammers?  I once
asked this question at a Steinway presentation and was told that they
continued using shellac "Until they ran out." whereupon they switched to
(nitrocellulose) laquer.  The pure ethanol solvent dries quickly enough
and the super blond and bleached shellacs are clear enough to use on
hammers with only a minimal yellowing.  Pure ethanol is also safer to
use and doesn't destroy key tops and most modern laquer finishes if spilled.

Blaine Hebert