collidon Hammer Laquer

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 24 02:13:21 MDT 2006

Hi, Ric,

It's:

Collodion:  a viscous solution of pyroxylin used especially as a
coating for wounds or for photographic films

In piano work, it is usually used mixed thinly with ether and is
exceptionally useful on instruments with hard-pressed hammers when
not much reinforcing is needed, rather a bit of
brightening.  Bosendorfer and Bechstein used to use it a good deal in
production.  I have found it very useful on S&S Hamburg hammers.

Best.

Horace