technical exam

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Fri Aug 25 16:49:27 MDT 2006

Hi Tom,
For the hammer shank repair make a special tool to merasure the correct length to make the shank about 1/8" short.
Use two wires about the length of the shank that is not in the butt or hammer head.
To measure hold the wires together with thumb and finger while you have the butt installed on the rail. Place wire in butt and use hammer head to push wire down to the length you want the shank to be minus 1/8" yada yada.
A great tool to have is the shank modified vise grips that clamp on the shank so that you can use the shank puller.
If you are lucky you will be able to pull both stub ends without using the dry wall screw and torch.
These you must have ready just in case.
On the splice use plenty of wire and trim after you pull the knot tight.
You are not being graded on how pretty the knot is but that it hold.
On the upright action more points are lost on the damper regulation.
After you get the damper lift where you want it, remove the action and look at the dampers from the back to see if they are lined up like you think they are <g> The timing may be great but you may have /  \ /
Get a good night rest and relax.
During my test my glasses broke, could not find the target measurments on the {side } of the action model, but still finished the grand in 25 minutes and the upright in 20.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr at srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com