faster whippen - Fandrich

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Aug 26 11:12:12 MDT 2006

At 12:07 pm -0600 25/8/06, Cy Shuster wrote:

>The action does play beautifully, with the feeling of connection
>between keys and hammers.  This early model needed a downweight of
>almost 60 grams to play well.  I don't know what the current specs
>are.

Having just looked at the design, I would say your touch weight was
due to compression and/or wear of the butt cushion and the resulting
reduction of the distance from fly to hammer-centre.  By the look of
it this deregulation will happen quite fast.  Too much pressure from
the butt spring (spring-rail spring) will also affect the touch
weight significantly.

JD