appraisal question another thonk?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Aug 26 21:23:11 MDT 2006

While their may very well be ways to temporarily fix the problem (as a few
people have suggested) it indicates an underlying problem that should
influence the appraisal--which is really the issue.  Whether it's a loose
bridge cap, loose bridge pins, negative bearing or some such problem, the
appraisal should reflect the proper fix, not the band-aid one.

I recently had a similar vintage Steinway with a similar sound in the same
area.  Someone prior to me had inserted some thin shims under the strings
through the first capo section which improved the situation somewhat.  I was
contracted by the University that owned the piano to address the problem in
a more permanent way and found, when I destrung the piano, that the bridge
pins were quite loose and some very vigorous smashing down of the strings on
the bridge to try and seat the strings had made matters worse.  I recapped
the capo section and resurfaced, renotched and repined the rest of the
bridge, securing the pins with epoxy.  That coupled with a careful filing of
the capo bar and a change of the agraffes cleaned things up enormously.  By
recapping the bridge in the capo section I was also able to alter the
speaking lengths a bit to create a better log progression at slightly higher
tensions which improved the power in that section.

While your problem may not be exactly the same, it is likely that the only
proper fix will involve at least a restringing and some attention to the
bridge in the offending section.  Your appraisal should reflect that, not
what you might be able to get away with.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com