tech exam results

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 27 08:41:07 MDT 2006

List

  Thanks to all for the positive feedback and good wishes.   Seemed inappropriate to ask for the advice and all and then not divulge the results...

  Passed both regulation portions, grand and vertical, but failed the repair section.  Actually, I got perfect scores on every single category in the repair section, but had some misfortune (=stupidity) in the stringing section.

  Made my hitch pin loop and it was perfect.  Got my coil going on the pin and it too looked perfect except...only three coils and I was thinking, "I need four".  So I tightened it a bit more, hoping to add another coil to the pin, and BOINK.  It broke.  On a real piano there's a pitch reference, so you know how much tension a string can take, but on the little string board thingee, I had no idea how much tension I had on there.  Just stupidity.

  And then my splice broke, too, (no excuses on this one) so I got a bunch of zeroes in the stringing section, giving me a 72.

  Oh well...I can take it again in about a month.  Next time for sure.

  Thanks again to all who offered advice and good wishes,

Tom Sivak
  Chicago Chapter Associate