Youngs Modulus for Piano wire

Dave McKibben davespianotuning at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 27 13:28:22 MDT 2006

Hi all:

For 7 years I did material failure analysis, and there are many things that
affect the results.
1.  For sure.......the clamping mechanism can have a huge effect.  There is
a special mechanical setup for wire to make sure a person does not put a
nick ( stress point ) into the measwured section of the wire being tested
by accident.
2.  If there is any diameter fluctuations in the wire, this can have an
impact, or any imperfections.
3.  Minor diameter differences will also.
This is why many samples would be measured, and an average # would be
recorded as the Modulus, elastic limit, yield point, plastic region etc etc.
It is my history that the recorded ' book values ' are very much an
average, and any individual measurement can vary from that book value.

Dave