Youngs Modulus for Piano wire

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sun Aug 27 13:48:57 MDT 2006

Hey JD

Well, I had rather hoped to be able to avoid stretching a few samples of
wire across the room and hanging weights to measure deflections and then
figure the relevant numbers out... At least at this point.

I just need a reliable ball park figure in order to proceed with my
project. As for what that is.... well... I'm in too early a stage with
things to expound much on that at this point, and perhaps this will all
turn out to be simply for my own edification anyways.  But I am looking
into some downbearing issues as you already know.

Cheers
RicB

You'll be miles out if you settle on that number!  Never mind about
sophisticated measuring.  You're talking about Young's Modulus, so
presumably you know what that is and how it is measured, and once you
know that you can do the job quite accurately in 20 minutes including
thinking time. The higher your house the more accurate your result,
and you have the advantage over me since you probably have wooden
walls and can more easily knock a nail into them. :-)   I think that's
enough clues.

Why do you want to know Young's Modulus for cast steel wire?  I know
when it's useful to me and I wonder if you have the same uses for it.

JD