Viennese pianos

a.acker at comcast.net a.acker at comcast.net
Mon Aug 28 19:34:05 MDT 2006

It would appear that several list members have not experienced a properly restored and regulated 19th century Viennese piano.

I can tell you that my clients, including for the 1879 in question, and for an 1860 7' Bosendorfer, which I just sold to a professional player in Washington, D.C., are  discerning buyers who had visited many piano dealers around the country, including Steinway Hall in New York, new Bosendorfer dealers and so forth.  One flew around in his company jet to visit pianos in the U.S.: the other traveled in both the U.S. and Europe in his search.

 They are WELL aware of what new pianos have to offer and they have rejected the glassy homogeneous sound,  the overpowering too wet bass, the plastic finishes and severe boring case designs and the heavy late 20th century actions in favor of the clarity of 19th century scaling and structure and the fast supple Viennese actions favored by the great pianists of the 19th century.

Remember, Liszt never played a Yamaha, or even a late 20th century Bosendorfer, or anything like them.

I DO recognize that most Viennese pianos are in poor condition and at best poorly restored.     There is a reason Viennese actions and Viennese piano design persisted up into the beginning of the 20th century.  After that, their demise was a matter of political conditions and the resulting economic conditions paired with Steinway's aggressive marketing team, not because of inferiority.

So, attack away Joe.     I have a waiting list, so I'm not worried.

Very best,   Anne