Overs Design Commission / David A.

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Wed Aug 30 02:47:16 MDT 2006

David,

The thing be at Ron O has landed a commision to redesign a 131 cm
instrument. Its a complete redesign as I understand it and if it flys...
well he's on his way so to speak.  A quick snip from the post on CAUT
that stimulated my reply.

I'm sure Ron will have more to say about this and other exciting
developments as things unfold.

Cheers
RicB

Designing a new model is such an exciting time, with the opportunity
at hand to make a real difference. I have received my first
commission to design a new piano for another manufacturer. The piano
in question is a 131 cm upright. The current piano made by this
manufacturer has so many problems it will need a totally new scale,
plate and sound board. This is a new challenge for me since I have a
133 cm design exercise which I did back in 1996. Some of my tone
building ideas have evolved since then, but a lot of the design
remains valid. I'm currently laying up the sound board area, scaling,
back scale and note spacing. Since I have decided not to manufacture
any upright pianos myself, all of my design ideas from  the 1996
concept can be incorporated into the new 131 design.

I expect to be building the prototype by December. The manufacturer
is sending me a semi-built shell, without a sound board or plate.
I'll build the protoype into the existing case to save the cost of
re-tooling for the case.

Regards,
Ron O.