cleaning up sharps

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Wed Aug 30 07:45:18 MDT 2006

Try Pianotek's Transtint Black Ebony Dye (pg B-11 of their catalog)
after cleaning with 4/0 steel wool dipped in alcohol. Oh, and wear
gloves! As for the ivories, unless there are only a few loose or damaged
ones, replacing with good quality plastic is likely to be cheaper and
much longer lasting than trying to keep the ivory in good shape. If you
must reglue the ivory then bring them home and clamp overnight using the
brass cauls and some glue other than CA. I use hot hide whitened with
titanium dioxide.

- Mark Dierauf