cleaning up sharps

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Aug 30 07:13:47 MDT 2006

Debra,

I agree with Diane here, If Ivories keep falling off, regluing can be never
ending.  However,

I have had good success regluing ivories with PVC-E glue.  You must take
care to prepare the pieces first.  I bring a set of bench chisels to clean
up the back of the ivory, and remove any glue residue (usually from a
previous attempt to reglue) from the keystick.  Be careful not to remove the
wood here.  Then reglue, clamp with heavy finger pressure 10-20 seconds
each.  I know some techs just press 'em on with PVC-E and don't feel any
more is necessary.

If you have a hankering for CA, I'd suggest only a tiny drop at the very
front and back of the key to act as a quick clamp while the PVC-E does the
bulk of the work.  CA glue itself will fail on keytops (my fearless
prediction).   ;-]

I'd sand the ebonies with a block, working up to 600 grit, and then put on a
clear-wipe-on poly like WATCO.  Let the colors shine.  If they want black,
I'd remove the ebony and put on plastic.  Save the ebony for a client that
appreciates it.  Painting ebony (to my woodworkers mind) is cardinal sin.
It'd be like making a beautiful piece out of birds-eye maple and then
painting it white.  Aaaaaaaaaccckkkk!!!  Just my not-so-humble opinion.

Best,
William R. Monroe