measuring downbearing on Kaps piani?

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 30 12:24:48 MDT 2006

KeyKat88 at aol.com wrote:

> By the way... I always use the word "dope" even though I mean CA glue,
> when I am explainging the "loose tuning pin " problem and how to remedy
> it to the customer.......After all .....how professional does it sound
> if you tell them you are going to put Krazy Glue in their
> block?!!...they'd probably say " Ummm....no thanks" and then think ,
> "Woah...I better call a /professional /tuner"

Hi, KeyKat.

I think many technicians use the word "doped" as a pejorative, e.g. "No
wonder these pins feel awful, the block's been doped." Also, dope has
another meaning associated with illicit drugs, which I think it's better
to avoid. Why not substitute the word "treat" as in, "I think we need to
treat this pinblock to tighten the pins." If they ask about what you'll
use, say "CA glue" or "CyanoAcrylate glue". You don't need to give any
brand name at all.  Tell them it penetrates then hardens, which makes
the piano tunable for a while. The chance that they would have any
opinion at all about the proper, professional method you should use to
save their bacon is vanishingly small. JMHO.

-Mark Schecter