hammer butt replacement

John M. Formsma john at formsmapiano.com
Wed Aug 30 12:31:18 MDT 2006

Daniel,

I've not done a lot of it, and there is probably a super-efficient method
you can develop if you had to do an entire set. I've just done field repairs
- not a whole set.

To remove the cord, use a center pin punch or something similar that won't
damage the hole. You can get the cord from Schaff. The cord must be prepped
on one end to make it into a stiff point so you can get it through the hole.
It's been a long time since I've prepped any cords as I have 3-4 already
prepped, but I think you remove some of the outer wrap from the center core,
pull it out slightly from the core, then glue the outer wrap into a point.
(You have to let the glue dry or use CA if you're in a hurry.)

It's not hard once you stare at it and do a couple. Seems like there might
be two sizes of cord, so you might check that when you're ordering.

There a good book on field repairs by Steve Brady. Look on www.ptg.org
<http://www.ptg.org/>  - it's well worth having.

JF

  _____