Steinway D cross strut buzz

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Wed Aug 30 13:42:52 MDT 2006

RicB says:
<< I am 99.8276 % sure that if I was to put a small piece of thin bushing

cloth between the cross strut flanges and their counterparts on the cast

plate that the problem would go away once and for all.

My question is dare I remove the cross strut even for a short time to

do this ?? >>

      Some of these will not go back in when the strings are up to pitch.  I
would just let it up enough to work a piece of cloth or leather between the
clamping surfaces, and then tighten it back down.  I would try to avoid removing
it unless it is loose in there to begin with, (then I would add some metal
shim to make it fit tighter),
Regardsm

Ed Foote RPT