Two Remedies to correct a light action

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Dec 1 14:58:12 MST 2006

At 7:36 am -0800 1/12/06, Steve Blasyak wrote:

>... what are the quick easy ways to correct an action (upright),
>that is too light.

The first thing to check is that the butt springs are doing their
job.  The butt spring pressure significantly affects the touch
weight.  If you strengthen the butt spring you increase the touch
weight and if you strengthen it too much you increase the weight even
more at the cost only of repetition.  Many players will not notice
the difference in repetition, and this difference can be reduced by
also stretching the jack spings slightly, which will further add to
the sense of weight in the touch.  These changes are easily
reversible and require no modification to the keys.

I have a client, a very competent professional player, who very much
likes and wants to hire a small grand I have, but she wants the touch
heavier in order to give her fingers more work.  I have no intention
of removing or adding leads to the keys only to have to undo the work
at the end of the hire, so I am fitting polyester cord loops under
the keys just forward of the pilot boring and long phosphor bronze
springs inserted into the front face of the backtouch rail will pull
down on these loops to increase the touch weight.  Adding weight to
the hammer assembly is no way to increase touch weight, since it not
only affects the tone but also increases the work required from the
repetition spring, which can break  as a result.

JD