Two Remedies to correct a light action

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Dec 1 15:19:53 MST 2006

Strikes me as more work by far then using jiffy leads for a temp
change.  Adding leads to an upright hammer assembly has not been
suggested by anyone as far as I can tell.  Tho to a grand it is
perfectly acceptable if your purpose(s) fit the bill. Yes it affects the
tone as well as touch. Sometimes thats exactly what you want to do.
There is no way a repetition spring is going to break from any
reasonable amount of  added weight. Hammer radius weight in the past has
been at times absolutely gargantuan with no reports of repetition spring
breakage.  Of course there are reasonable limits to what hammer radius
weight can be... but I doubt seriously this is connected in any way to
repetition spring failure.

Cheers
RicB

     I have no intention  of removing or adding leads to the keys only
    to have to undo the work at the end of the hire, so I am fitting
    polyester cord loops under the keys just forward of the pilot boring
    and long phosphor bronze  springs inserted into the front face of
    the backtouch rail will pull down on these loops to increase the
    touch weight.  Adding weight to the hammer assembly is no way to
    increase touch weight, since it not only affects the tone but also
    increases the work required from the repetition spring, which can
    break  as a result.

    JD