In need of Mason & Hamlin shift lever

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Dec 2 05:09:05 MST 2006

Hi Jeannie

I had a Bechstein  with a broken shift lever a while back and the owner
didnt want to wait for a new one to be shipped from Germany.  So I went
to a local machine shop and had them machine me a new one.  The metal
used is pretty common stuff.  They had it done for me while I waited and
I had the instrument up and going again the next day.

Cheers
RicB

    Hello everyone,
    When I arrived to tune the Mason & Hamlin BB at the local church for the
    gala Christmas event there was a note asking me to adjust the "soft
    pedal"
    since it "slipped out" when they took the piano off the stage.
    Would that
    it were only that simple.  The shift lever is broken in two.  They
    hadn't
    removed the lyre when they moved it off the stage.  (I don't even
    want to
    try to imagine the scenario....)  Supply houses no longer carry these;
    PianoDisc (Mason & Hamlin) doesn't have them.  My only chance is for
    one of
    you out there to part with one that you might have been saving for
    just such
    an emergency.  The piano is 1975 vintage; serial number: 79822.  If you
    think you might have something I can use, please contact me.  We'll
    compare
    notes.  Thanks much,
    jeannie

    Jeannie Grassi, RPT