registered piano technician

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 3 09:39:32 MST 2006

> SO.....RPT tests are all well and good BUT what about being a piano tech
> AND a pneumatic player piano technician (rebuilding, that is) AND a reed
> organ technician (again rebuilding)

What about it? And what about piano rebuilding in general, and
what about redesign and re engineering of everything from
actions to soundboards and bridges to plates? These don't have
anything to do with basic piano service.

> Anyway, my point is, RPT testing is only half the battle of the piano
> tech when it comes to dealing with a pneumatic player.

That's true, which is why the vast majority of player rebuild
jobs I've seen have had little or nothing done to the pianos,
which needed rebuilding at least as badly as the player. With
the exception of the rare player grand, no one these days
seems to be willing to spend what it takes to do the whole
job, and as long as I can eat doing something better, I'll
continue as I have for thirty years now, to turn down work
doing just the player.

> Plus, where is the RPT equivalent to rebuilding an antique reed organ -
> of which I half done about 12 for customers.

I've done at least twice that many, but don't see the problem.
A reed organ isn't a piano any more than a pneumatic player
mechanism is, so why would the *Piano* Technicians Guild care
about qualification testing in these areas when they don't
have anything in place (nor is it likely to be possible) to
qualify piano rebuilding? There is also some difference in
technical complexity between rebuilding pianos and rebuilding
foot powered harmonicas (magic as they are, they still are
what they are).

> Since the guild seems, IMHO, to be geared to grands and -most- think the
> lesser of uprights and even lesser than that of players ... where in the
> guild is there an RPT status for pneumatic player technicians.

That's not the Guild. That's everyone. How many times have you
heard "It doesn't have to be perfect, it's just a player"?
This is the universal mantra for (often only partially)
rebuilding the player mechanism and putting it back into a
realistically non functional piano, and the attitude exists in
the owners as well as in the techs.

> For those of you out there that know, being a pneumatic player tech
> -along- with having a family and responsibilities - there is virtually
> NO time to study for the tests, let alone wanting to pass only half of
> the puzzle (the piano side, leaving out the player side).
>
> Respectfully, Duaine

Last time I looked, the RPT tests were for the most part a
realistic set of minimal standard skills that a functional
piano tech shouldn't have a lot of trouble with going into
cold. I'm sure that anyone in the business who could be
trusted with someone's piano could brush up on the details of
the testing, and fill in the gaps without expending too much
effort or neglecting the family overly much. I expect they
could spare a couple of evenings in there somewhere with
minimal trauma, perhaps putting off the latest Linux recompile
for an evening or two and studying instead. Some of us
continue to find the time to progress in our professional
education, and I expect you could too. There are a million
justifications for not doing something, but it all comes down
to one thing. You just have to want to, and if you don't, you
won't. In my case, most of what I've learned about pianos,
player mechanisms, and pump organs came through association
with the PTG and it's membership. I figure I owe them some
support in exchange. If you don't, that's fine, but the PTG's
not providing qualification testing in your specialty smacks
more of excuse than reason. For instance, if they did
qualification testing for pneumatic players, electronic
players, pump organs, rebuilding, engineering, refinishing,
moving, and humidity control, where would you find the time to
study for any or all of these tests when you already can't
manage the existing set for RPT?

Regards,
Ron N