registered piano technician

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Dec 2 13:49:57 MST 2006

Hei Gregor.

I'm that Norwegian fellow you refered too.  Actually there are a few
that follow the list and sometimes throw in a comment or two. Myself I
am born american and became Norwegian a couple years ago after living
here for the past 25 years.

I started my piano tech life in the US and continued it here so I have a
pretty good familiarity with both countries.  And after having joined
associations in both the US and Norway and being active in both I've
come to know quite a few techs in Europe as well.

You are going to no doubt hear a lot of different opinions about how
education and certification of pianotechs should be.  Many, especially
in america, but not limited to them, are of the firm belief that no
certification should be required and that any government involvement
will just make matters hopeless.  These will argue, and correctly so,
that having a certification does not guarantee that workmanship will be
of good quality.  The certification can yield a false sense of authority
and dependability and even sometimes unrightfully protect a technician
who produces shoddy results.

The flip side of this coin however in my view is even worse.  You allow
anyone to market themselves as a pianotech and allow the market place to
rule.  A kind of chaos really... with its own particular filtering
devices for both technicians.... and customers.  Further, I would point
out that while requiring a formal education and state approved
certification does not guarantee any degree of workmanship... it
certainly does leave the technician no excuse for not performing
acceptably. It strikes me that when a baseline of ethics, standards and
practices are formally drawn up the customer is far better protected,
the industry at large is far better served, and the piano technical
community will be far better informed and equipped to support the market
as a whole.

So I side up on the side of those who adhere to the way things were in
Germany a couple years back and still are in Switzerland.  I say this in
full admission of being one of those who came up through the grasses on
my own.  I think back many times about how many years I wasted wallowing
around in the semi dark without any formal education and how much more I
may have been able to accomplish in my career had I started on that
educational journey back then instead of roughly 10 years ago.  You get
so far on your own... and no farther. And indeed I got about as far as
one could expect on ones own.

In the US, and in Norway, as in most places on this planet... anyone
with no more then a freshly purchased tuning hammer and fork can legally
market themselves as a pianotech and take money for the "work" they do.
It is in my mind no small wonder we see such a depressed and confused
market with customers expecting the most incredible of unrealistic
things from their instruments and a public that in general looks at us
all to often with far less then the respect we deserve.

To become an RPT, you must demonstrate enough knowledge and ability that
at least you know a reasonable amount about what you are doing.  But the
pass levels are low enough that it is not what I would call more then a
beginning  journeyman's (at best) level. And the US test is probably the
best around of the private associations in the piano world.

You ask a question that really demands more of an answer then our forum
can give you when it comes down to it. But I hope this and some of the
other answers will at least give you pause and food for thought on the
matter.

Cheers
RicB