registered piano technician

Karl kaputt karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 2 10:56:58 MST 2006

I would like to know how to learn the profession of piano technician. I am
interessted in the way this procedure differs in different countries. As far
as I understood, in the USA you attend courses and pay for that. Then you do
some ptg exams and may call yourself rpt. I see there is a Norwegian
collegue in this list and in the archives i saw postings of a Dutch
collegue. Are there technicians from other countries in this list?  Please,
could you explain how to become a tech in your country?

I don´t know if this is the "general European" way, but this is the way in
German speaking countries (Switzerland, Austria and Germany):

You ask a company to train you in a apprenticeship. This may be a producer
like Bechstein, Schimmel and so on or a local piano shop with a workshop
which rebuilds pianos. The training is 3.5 years and ends with an exam. This
exam is a kind of "governmental" which means that it´s under state
supervision. You work for the company, so it´s training on the job
(fulltime). Twice a year you go to school for 6 weeks each where you learn
all that theory. There is only one school for that in Germany. Because you
work for the company they will pay you for work. Usually you get between 20
and 30 % of the normal tech wage. If you pass the exam you are entitled to
call yourself pianomaker. So, it´s a protected name, but piano technician or
tuner is not. 3 to 5 years after exam you are entitled to attend the master
school for one year. This is a scholar fulltime education where you learn
more technical stuff, but also mercantile and pedagogic stuff for training
apprentices. After that you are pianomaker master degree. Only then you are
entitled to train apprentices.

There was a legal change last year. Now everybody may repair and rebuild
pianos. Befor that you needed the master degree! Even a certificate of
apprenticeship was not enough! This perhaps makes clear why I call the exam
"governmental", which has nothing to with a "private" guild. It used to be
just forbidden by law (!) to repair pianos without master degree.

That´s the German way, which we call "dual sytem" because you learn at a
company AND attend school. This is the way for all handcrafts. The legal
change last year affects only a few professions (like pianomaker). Still
today it´s forbidden for example to repair cars  or to bake bread without
master. That´s a relict of the medieval guilds. In America you do your job
good or bad, but you may do it. If you do it bad you won´t have customers
sooner or later. At last we got free market economy too, at least with some
few professions like pianomaker.

Is it the way in other european countries too? Are there Asian or
Southamerican technicians on this list who please could tell me the
procedure in their countries?

Gregor