Knuckle question

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Dec 3 11:21:47 MST 2006

Hi Larry.

Leather on knuckles is not the same in both directions. The nap of the
knuckle leather offers different resistance turned one way visa vi the
other. If first you are to remove an old set of knuckles... it is
useless to bother refitting these in the opposite direction. To begin
with older knuckles developer other problems then just a worn surface.
The felt core gets mushed up, the leather loosens around it and you get
friction problems up the pattootey.  New knuckles do not cost much and
will give you many fold return in terms of improved performance.

The replies you've gotten from Ed, Stéphane, and John deal with your
question appropriately enough so I'll leave their good advice to stand.

Cheers
RicB

     > List... I have a set of knuckles to install and the wood core is
    slightly
     > narrower than the slot (it reaches the bottom). Is it acceptable
    to install
     > and let the glue fill in the gap or should I shim it with paper
    or anything
     > else? Or is it unacceptable to have a wood core that isn't snug?
    Thanks for
     > your help.
     >
     > Larry Trischetta
     > Chapter 186

    Why not use the original knuckles? Just turn them around, so that
    the jack
    will hit virgin territory after they are replaced in the groove. (Unless
    there is something else wrong with them)
    If you notice, it is the front half that gets worn in a knuckle.

    S.P.