Edvard Griegs Steinway

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Dec 3 12:21:59 MST 2006

Whilst we are on the subject of Steinways....

Tonite I got to tune the 103 year old (rebuilt in Hamburg in the early
50's) Hamburg B that Edvard Grieg owned here in Bergen.  There was a
recording session and the regular technician had to fly back to Oslo and
it needed a bit of extra attention this evening.

An interesting experience really.  I mean the instrument did indeed
belong origionally to Grieg. And the idea behind playing and recording
with it is of course to get a sense somehow of how Grieg himself must
have experienced music in his home.  Not much has changed in his home
villa since his life so the ambiance is most certainly in tact.  But the
piano....   In the year 2007 the instrument sounds like anything but
new. The bass has gotten thinned out and the upper treble has become
percussive and short tempered. In general the sound is of an older
instrument whose soundboard has seen far better days.  Still.. charming
enough in its own right if you can accept the premises that go along
with all that... and I have no trouble doing so as long as the cards are
all on the table so to speak.

But this bit about getting in touch with Grieg then.....  Ok.. the
instrument had a major rebuild in 1960 something.  A new soundboard was
installed... which of course takes the origional instrument well out of
the ball park from the get go.  Then the villa had a climate system
installed which express purpose was to keep things as dry as possible.
The 45 or so year old board now is developing cracks and has flattened
quite a bit... probably developed more serious flaws from the sound of
it.  All in all its anything but Griegs piano twice removed if yers gets
my meaning.

Yet here we all were...  in Griegs home playing and recording on <<his>>
instrument.... and not completely fooling ourselves... yet more so then
most would feel comfortable admitting.  We are in the realm of magic
here to be sure.   On the one hand I have feelings of doubt.... on the
other I wonder whats so wrong about letting this kind of magic just run
its charm ?...  I mean whom does it really hurt to leave those involved
in such endeavours with a wonderous sensation that they have some how
touched the Masters self ?   I dunno... seems like a much more
complicated question then at times I'm willing to take it for.

Cheers
RicB