Problems with new Steinways

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 13:20:22 MST 2006

On Dec 3, 2006, at 1:28 PM, David Love wrote:

> The problem seems to be related to the backcheck material itself.
> When compared with a Renner backcheck simply by running your finger
> over the leather (or synthetic material that Steinway also uses)
> the noise difference is pronounced.

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more mention of this.

My experience has been identical, except that the noisy material was
used in knuckles in addition to backchecks, and was quite annoying.

I have been told at the Steinway dealer that the material has now
been changed, and the noise problem is a thing of the past -- for
future production and parts orders. And indeed, the last set of
shanks & flanges I received had a different, quieter material than
previous recent sets.

So if you can manage to get some replacement parts, they may very
well be improved.

Kent